Updated: Aug 28, 2019
Here’s an update from the park: most importantly, the rivers have finally returned to a somewhat normal stage!
The projects we are actively working on include:
– Silt removal at the beach parking lots and on Picnic Island (roads and parking lots)
– Coordinating the water main repair to turn on water throughout the park
– Trail repairs on Pike Island and Picnic Island
– Re-install and repair the fishing pier
– Completing work at Visitor Center and Park Office as we move back into the building
Thank you for your patience and for helping us spread the word about the work happening in the park. Road repairs are scheduled to be completed before August 30th. We will start a timeline for opening the park and begin scheduling volunteer cleanup activities as soon as we have a schedule from the contractor.
Until the road is repaired the park will remain closed to the public. Heavy equipment (tractors, front end loaders, and dump trucks) is being used during the closure as trails and roads are repaired, and in the interest of safety and efficiency, we need to keep work areas clear. Emergency responders will be challenged to access locations in the park if you are hurt or injured, and there are currently no public bathroom facilities available in the park.
Keep an eye on our website for updates as the rivers return to their banks and clean up continues.
Lead Naturalist | Fort Snelling State Park
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources